Decoding it all...

I'm taking a few classes this term that have really got me thinking about the way in which men and women communicate with each other.
My sociology course is just about to start the chapter on gender, and I am quite frankly looking forward to it. My prof noted on the first day of class that for all the research out there about men and women, their differences and their similarites, and how they relate to each other, 80% is based on women, written by women, and/or relating to feminist issues. Whereas only 20% is centering around masculinity and it's implications in our society.
My prof thinks this is a great injustice and while she is not an 'anti-feminist' per se she will be mostly concetrating on the issue of masculinty, especially as it refers to sports and popular culture.
In my 'history of the english language' course we are already noticing the difference in how the men and women in the class are analysing sentences, and depicting their meanings.
With all this in reeling through my mind today, I came home to find a new e-mail from my cousin.

DICTIONARY FOR DECODING WOMEN'S PERSONAL ADS

~ 40-ish..............................49.
~ Adventurous.................Slept with everyone.
~ Athletic.............................No breasts.
~ Average looking................Moooo.
~ Beautiful...........................Pathological liar.
~ Emotionally Secure.............On medication.
~ Feminist....................................Fat.
~ Free Spirit.........................Junkie.
~ Friendship first.....................Former Slut.
~ New-Age.............................Body hair in the wrong places.
~ Old-fashioned.........................No B.J.'s
~ Open-minded.........................Desperate.
~ Out going............................Loud and embarrassing.
~ Professional...........................Bitch.
~ Voluptuous........................Very fat.
~ Large frame................................Hugely fat.
~ Wants soul mate...................Stalker.

DICTIONARY FOR DECODING WOMEN'S ENGLISH:
~ Yes..........................................No
~ No...........................................Yes
~ Maybe.....................................No
~ We need.................................. I want
~ I am sorry...............................You'll be sorry
~ We need to talk....................You're in trouble
~ Sure, go ahead........................You better not
~ Do what you want....................You will pay for this later
~ I am not upset.........................Of course, I am upset, you moron!
~ You're very attentive tonight.....Is sex all you ever think about?

DICTIONARY FOR DECODING MEN'S ENGLISH:
~ I am hungry.............................I am hungry
~ I am sleepy...............................I am sleepy
~ I am tired................................I am tired
~ Nice dress.................................Nice cleavage!
~ I love you.................................Let's have sex now
~ I am bored................................Do you want to have sex?
~ May I have this dance?..........I'd like to have sex with you.
~ Can I call you sometime?..........I'd like to have sex with you.
~ Do you want to go to a movie?....I'd like to have sex with you.
~ Can I take you out to dinner?.....I'd like to have sex with you.
~ I don't think those shoes go with that outfit..............I'm gay.

While this e-mail is pretty funny, and if you want to be ridicoulously sesitive, a little insulting, it has some truth to it.
Women don't say exactly what they mean. They don't say the first thing that comes into their mind. They think arduously and diligently about everything they say.

Coding and diciphering everything.

Men, in general do say what they mean. They don't nessecarily sugar-coat everything. What they say is more then likely what they mean.

No codes there.

No comments: