Shite Movies and Music Videos, WOTD, and what I'm listening to.

Well there are a few things on my mind today, not the least of which is when my gross ugly cold will go away.
It’s not exactly the worst cold I’ve ever had, but no one likes being sick, and over a holiday weekend, when there’s delicious chocolate and candies to be had. All I wanted to do was curl and go to sleep.


Who am I kidding, I did do that! And let me tell you, napping is still as awesome as it was in Kindergarten!


Between naps and Easter celebrations, I actually had quite the productive weekend, and managed to stay off my computer (for the most part). I’ve recently heard about really cool thing called ‘The Real World’. I was unfamiliar with this strange thing at first, but I tried it out this weekend, and it was great! It’s full of fresh air and sunshine! It’s a bit cold, but I seriously suggest you try it!


Now moving on to more important things, I went to go see a movie last night, and while I was fairly excited about it, because I had just read the book, I was so disappointed with the movie.


If you’ve been paying attention to movies at all recently, you already know which movie I’m talking about!
The Last Song.


Bleh, it was terrible!!


Now I realize that when a movie it ‘based on a novel’, that doesn’t really mean it’s based on that novel at all. It could have the same characters and maybe even the same settings, but beyond that the similarities usually don’t continue.
The Last Song, based on the novel by Nicholas Sparks, was a pathetic representation of a fairly decent, albeit adolescent, book.


They left out story lines and characters that could have added so much depth to the film. It felt like the "Miley Cyrus” show and in one scene she started singing. I immediately thought “her contract probably included a few clauses stating that Miley HAD to sing in the movie and it would NOT get cut.”
The whole film felt like a thinly veiled attempt to bolster Miley's career, and I personally feel it was a bit of a flop.
I mean I know the book revolved around "Ronnie" the character Miley is playing, but the movie cover is just a little ridiculous:
Shes on the cover twice, and her apparent love interest get a side shot, I mean what is that?! I know he's not a well know actor in the states, but he's fairly well know in Australia, and I think he deserves a little more that a faded out side shot on the cover!
I much prefer the cover of the book:


It's a beach. What more do you need to know? If you want to know more, go to the movie! If you want to know who's in it, you could put them on the beach. but even the cover off the movie looks like the Miley Cyrus show!










She can’t sing and she can’t act.


The forced relationship between the two main characters surprised me the most. I read right before going into the movie that Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth are now a real life couple and I’m still scratching my head at that one. I know it’s often true that if there’s is romance between the two actors, it doesn’t show up on the big screen, because, lets face it, it’d be like 20 people watching you and your boyfriend make out. Awkward!
I could feel Mr. Hemsworth trying to pull is unworthy partner along and I was truly unconvinced that the ‘Ronnie Miller’ Character (the girl that damn story revolves around) had even changed at all by the end of the film.


Greg Kinnear (a favourite of mine for quite some time, from some of my favourite movies, like Little Miss Sunshine, and Ghost Town) and Liam Hemsworth (new to my favourite actors list, him and his excellent American Accent) completely carried this movie with a bumbling and lisping Miley Cyrus along for the ride. The supporting characters did little to help, and I felt some of the best ‘extras’ could have aided this movie so much!
Nick Lashaway, who played the destructive and possibly psychopathic arsonist Marcus, had so much potential in the movie. I think he had about a total of three minutes screen time and I was hoping for and expecting so much more of that character. I was quite disappointed.


My favourite part of the movie had to be the younger brother Jonah, played by the very talented Bobby Coleman. Only 12 years old, and this kid has worked with big names such as Micheal Keaton, Jane Lynch, William H. Macy, John Cusack, and Amanda Peet, and the list goes on. I see big things for this kid, and I hope this dismal effort at boosting Miley Cyrus’ career won’t be held against him.


Over all I wish I hadn’t gone to see this movie in the theatres, not worth the money. It’s worth a rental, but I think a bottle of wine would probably have to be involved to really enjoy it. At the very least you got ogle Liam Hamsworth, and revel in the fact that he’s actually a good actor too. Miley Cyrus on the other hand should probably stick to being a famous person’s kid, that she can play (most of the time).


In an attempt to flush my mind of the affront that was ‘The Last Song’ I was perusing some music videos on YouTube today, and decided to check out ‘Rude Boy’ by Rihanna.





Holy Mother of Dog! That is 4 minutes I will NEVER get back!! Why Rihanna, why?! I wanted to turn it off so much, but I kept hoping it would get better, maybe not so raunchy. I was disappointed, yet again. I actually preferred Lady Gagas ‘Telephone’ ft. Beyoncé to that piece o’ shite. I mean yes, Telphone is nine minutes, but at least there's is kind of a story, and while the dialouge in the middle is more distracting than anything else, i wasn't left wanted to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon at the end.


When will women learn? It is not alright for women to flaunt themselves shamelessly like that and then demand respect. One or the other, you can’t have it both ways. You can’t be an independent respectable woman, spearheading her own career and at the same time done shoes likable to stripper boots, and an outfit to match, and expect people to take you seriously. I don’t know who the hell was directing that video, but I know what their goal was! I’ll give you a hint; it has nothing to do with musical integrity and a little more to do with a teenage boy alone in his dimly lit bedroom, with a box of tissues.
I recently read an article that said Rihanna was “fed up with music executives placing products into her music videos, because it transforms her work into "ad campaigns."”
To me that sounds like she actually respects her work and her craft, but music videos like the one I saw today and ‘Hard’ ft. Jeezy don’t exactly “…tell the story of the song” as she is quoted as saying.
It’s a slippery slope, and hoards of female artists have fallen down it. It seems more and more are delving deeper and deeper into that abyss that is known as sexual appeal. They all seem to claim that it’s empowering woman but in what was does Rude Boy, Dirrty, Womanizer or Get Right do for our image?


I’m going to stop before I go on a rant!! (oops, might be too late)


As I mentioned before I’m fighting off a cold as such I didn’t get to the WOTD, even though that often brings jot to my day. I’ve decide to just look at one of the WOTD from the past 4 days. The past four words have been:
April 3, 2010 – malversation: Misconduct, corruption, or extortion in public office.
April 4, 2010 – manumit: to free from slavery or servitude.
April 5, 2010 – grok: to understand, especially in a profound and intimate way.
And, April 6, 2010 – land of Nod: A mythical land of sleep.


Now my first thought was to go for today’s word, land of Nod, given my affection for naps and sleeping in general (one of my favourite lines of course being, “My life is one long trauma of interrupted sleep.”), but I decided against is, because how could I so casually ignore the other beauties there.
Malversation is really quite fabulous and while it seems only appropriate for ‘Lewinsky’ like situations, and I don’t see myself using it any day soon, I look forward to keeping that gem in the arsenal!
Manumit caught my eye, and trying to read it was an adventure all it itself. The emphasis is at the very end of that word it feels off centre somehow. I do feel however that Dictionary.com should probably be more aware of the ads the come up next to their WOTD. I was more distracted by the ad above this word and the ensuing confusion, then the word itself.


This was the ad:
I was really left a little more confused than when I came.


I was finally left with grok, and I think out of all my choice it was my favourite anyway.
Yes, it’s slang, yes it’s one heavy and loud syllable, and yes I plan on using it at some point today. I don’t know how or when and the day is nearly over, but I feel the need to throw this one out there and just see how many flies I catch. Is the little morsel honey or vinegar?
The word was originally coined by Robert A. Heinlein in the science fiction novel "Stranger in a Strange Land", where it is a Martian word meaning literally "to drink" and metaphorically "to be one with". Where its current meaning came form is a bit of a mystery to me. I actually feel a little more comfortable with the original definition. “to drink”. I think that probably because grok sounds so closely related to grog which is defined as any strong alcoholic beverage and dates back to 1770. it’s slightly more cemented in the language than grok, but I think it might just be able to ride the tails of that jacket.


Well, I feel I’ve rambled on enough for today, and I’m nearing the end of my work day, so I want to get this posted. I’d like to leave you with some great music. I know it’s only Tuesday and we still have a few days left before we’re supposed to think about the weekend, but these tunes seem to get me through the work week, and I hope they do the same for you.
I have recently become mildly obsessed with “The Script”. I know they’ve been around for a while but I discovered them through their recent North American debut of “Breakeven” but be sure to check out the rest of their album. “We Cry” and “Talk You Down” have already made it onto my ring tones list. Love them!





Also, I’d like to let everyone know about “Gold Stars are for Suckers”. While I personally love gold stars, and would never want to aide in the soiling of their reputations, this band has very little to do with gold stars, and more with freaking awesome tunes! Check them out on FaceBook, and have a listen. If you’re in the Vancouver area you might even be able to check out a show. It remains to be seen what they are like live, but if the show put on by their drummer Mo Sherwood is any indication, you can look forward to a lively and enthusiastic show with biting one liners and gripping wit (that is if they’re crazy enough to give him a mike!)


That’s all I got in my today, and hopefully I remember to properly link all my references, so you can get a clear picture of my ‘internets wanderings’, and not get lost in the articles and related links, as I often do.


I’ll leave you with:


“O Lord, help me to be pure, but not yet.”
-Saint Augustine


That that man knew where it was at!

No comments: